By José M. López sierra – Puerto Rico
United States (US) Representative Mike Pence spoke in support of a plebiscite bill to determine whether Puerto Ricans want independence for Puerto Rico, or to be the 51st state of the Union. Click on the following link to watch that video:
Pence misrepresented the facts:
- Puerto Rico has been a US colony (not a territory) since 1898.
- US citizenship was imposed(not granted) on Puerto Ricans in 1917.
- Puerto Ricans have fought in US wars since World War I (not WW II).
- None of the US wars have been fought for freedom or to spread democracy (to benefit the 1%).
- The US government (USG) will never make Puerto Rico a state as long as Puerto Ricans are a majority in our homeland, because of its white supremacy racism.
The real height of hypocrisy is the fact that, if the USG, as Pence said, supports self-determination, all it has to do, instead of Pence’s lip service, is comply with the United Nations’ (UN) Charter that prohibits colonialism for the past 76 years.
If the USG supports self-determination, why hasn’t it complied with the, already issued, 39 UN resolutions asking it to immediately return Puerto Rico’s sovereignty to the Puerto Ricans?http://webtv.un.org/watch/5th-meeting-committee-of-24-special-committee-on-decolonization/6051725003001/
Puerto Ricans must learn our real history, and not let ourselves be fooled. Instead of a plebiscite in a colony that fakes being a democracy, we should engage in permanent resistance to force the USG to comply with the existing international law.
US hypocrisy means that we mustfight our self-determination in the correct jurisdiction!
The US’ illusion of democracy.