By José M. López Sierra – Puerto Rico
The United Nations (UN) held its annual Puerto Rico decolonization hearing on Friday, June 18, 2021. The UN is in its 4th International Decade for the Eradication of Colonialism. This may seem like the UN means business, but it is all an act. Here is why.
- The United States (US) government (USG) has never complied with the UN’s Charter that prohibits colonialism, since the UN was created 76 years ago.
- The USG has ignored 40 UN resolutions asking it to immediately return Puerto Rico’s sovereignty to the Puerto Ricans.
What has the UN done about that? Nothing! It is content with just putting out resolutions, and dedicating international decades for the eradication of colonialism. And,should you try to get the UN to put pressure on the USG, it refuses. Here are some examples:
- The UN refuses to advertise worldwide its annual Puerto Rico decolonization hearing in New York City. Most of the almost 1 million Puerto Ricans living in New York State don’t know that these hearing are being held. The UN is, therefore, helping the USG to continue to commit its crime against humanity.
- The UN refuses to broadcast live these hearing. And when we broadcasted the 2016 hearing live ourselves, the UN took me off its petitioners’list for that year. Obviously,the UN did not appreciate it! Click on the following link to watch our live broadcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otzBslJLbI0
- And when the UN does decide to broadcast the hearing live, it hides that information. I searched the UN WEB TV to see if this year’s hearing would be broadcasted. I did not find it. On the day of the hearing, a friend informed me about a link that he had found accidentally about the live broadcast in a newspaper article. That was what I was looking for, but the UN WEB TV had not identified it as such. The UN identified it as: “(5th meeting) Special Committee of 24 (Decolonization Committee) – Resumed session, 14-25 June 2021. The Special Committee on the Situation with regard to the implementation of the Declaration on the Granting of Independence of Colonial Countries and Peoples, also known as the Special Committee on Decolonization, or C-24 was established in 1961 by the General Assembly (GA), as its subsidiary organ devoted to the issue of decolonization. The C-24 annually reviews the list of Non-Self-Governing-Territories (NSGT) to which the Declaration is applicable. It also hears statements of representatives of the NSGT at its annual sessions, dispatches visiting missions to NSGT and annually organizes regional seminars.” The UN is obviously hiding these hearings to protect the USG! Click here to watch said hearing: http://webtv.un.org/watch/6th-meeting-special-committee-of-24-decolonization-committee-resumed-session-14-25-june-2021/6259352974001/
- The UN refuses to put Puerto Rico on its list of colonies (NSGT), although she is the oldest and most populated colony, than the ones on its list!
- The UN does not provide a clear and transparent way for Puerto Ricans to request to be a petitioner at these hearings. When I went to the UN website a month before this year’s hearing,there was nothing! Then, suddenly, a friend mentioned to me that he discovered that the closing day for it was the next day. It is obvious that the UN does not want certain people to speak at these hearings.
The UN, like the colonial elections in Puerto Rico, is designed to function asa pressure release to prevent another Puerto Rican revolution. Therefore, we must not believe that the UN will ever decolonize Puerto Rico. On the contrary, its function to maintain Puerto Rico as a US colony forever.
5.6 million Puerto Ricans are presently living away from our national territory, while 3.2 million of us have refused to abandon our homeland.It is incumbent on the 9 million Puerto Ricans worldwide to engage in permanent resistance to force the USG to comply with International law.
Russia, China, Venezuela, Mexico, Iran, Black Lives Matter, and many otherpeople all around the world would be elated,and be in solidarity with us for defending our inalienable right to self-determination and independence.
Forget about Puerto Rican elections, and the UN. Believe in our own determination to fight for what is ours.
Boriken for the Boricuas!